Happy Labor Day
To the PJSTA membership…
As we get ready to embark on another school year, Labor Day offers me a moment to pause and express gratitude for the people who have made up my union and allowed me to enjoy the career that I have today…
- Thank you Beth Dimino, PJSTA President, for tirelessly working on our behalf for more than four years now. For working to preserve and enhance a strong contract, and for largely keeping us whole through turbulent times.
- Thank you Christine Pendergast, Fran DiPiazza, and Jim Roth. The three presidents who have represented me throughout my career and have shown me what strong union leadership can do.
- Thank you to all of the presidents who came before them, including Bob Carr (thanks Jack Zamek!) and Bill Hippner, who I have had the pleasure of knowing through his role in rep council. These are the people who built a strong contract one battle at a time over the years.
- Thank you to the many men and women who have served on our executive boards and rep councils through the years, who have given tremendous amounts of time to form the governing body of the PJSTA.
- Thank you to Rich Davis, my union buddy during my first year of teaching, and my first senior building rep. He was the first person who made union work appealing to me.
- Thank you to Donna Gardner and Gail Ports who have done an incredible job representing me as my senior building rep in the years since Rich Davis.
- Thank you to the PJSTA members who voted to authorize strikes in the 1970’s, showing the willingness to make a tremendous sacrifice, if necessary, for the greater good of our local.
- Finally, thank you to the rank and file membership of the PJSTA, throughout our history. We have had great leaders, but our strength is in numbers. It is a whole lot easier for our leadership to take a stand and guide us through difficult times when they know they have 300 PJSTA members at their back.
Through the past several years the PJSTA has taken a leadership role in our region, fighting against the privatization of public education. We have had a substantial presence at rallies and events throughout the state. Our members have taken whatever action necessary when called upon. We have an aggressive and ambitious campaign planned for this year. Our membership will be called upon to take sustained action throughout the year. I know we will rise to the occasion and let our collective voice be heard.
Happy Labor Day… and welcome back to school!
Brian St. Pierre
Hi Brian, Love your thoughtful blog. Hope you have a great year ahead.
Always nice to hear from you Donna! Hope all is well! Don’t be a stranger!
Hi Brian Thanks for all you continue to do!!!! Donna Gardner
And thank YOU Brian for all of your endless hard work!
Happy Labor Day to You Brian! Thank you for writing the dynamic, informative, inspirational and provocative posts for this blog.
Thanks Brian…Well said!
Fixed that for you! Dana sends her regards!
Well done. When giving recognition to past union members you should never omit the name of Bob Carr. Never. Here’s hoping you all have a good year. Regard to Dana.
Sent from my iPad